Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Great Housing Bamboozle: How The Numbers Show Home Ownership Is A Terrible Investment

Nice article demonstrating that home ownership is a TERRIBLE investment.

Interesting, since ownership in a home is the NUMBER ONE INVESTMENT most people make in their lives.

The horrifying thought in this picture is that if inflation really does come roaring in with a vengeance asset prices (like houses) actually FALL as people liquidate them to pay for articles of daily living like food and other consumables.

I have paid approximately 25% more into mine than I can get out of it right now (including tax breaks for mortgage deductions, and the "required money" I would have had to spend on rental for a place to live)....., and I do not live in an upside down mortgage AND I have aggressively paid down my mortgage on an accelerated basis AND I only took a 15 year note out in the first place.

I would be far far far better off to have lived in a house trailer for 5 years and aggressively saved money....... of course, I would have had a fantastically unhappy wife and family, so I suppose there is some kind of intangible benefit that offsets the raw money argument.

The Great Housing Bamboozle: How The Numbers Show Home Ownership Is A Terrible Investment

No comments: